11232017Headline:

Las Vegas, Nevada

HomeNevadaLas Vegas

Email Brian Nettles Brian Nettles on LinkedIn Brian Nettles on Twitter Brian Nettles on Facebook
Brian Nettles
Brian Nettles
Attorney • (702) 434-8282

Las Vegas hotel guest dies following exposure to Legionnaires' disease at Luxor

Comments Off

As if lightning has struck twice, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has again contacted the Southern Nevada Health District and reported that guests of the Luxor in Las Vegas hotel have contracted Legionnaires' disease after vacationing on the Las Vegas Strip. This comes on the heels of the Legionella exposure outbreak reported this past summer at the Aria Resort, another Strip property.

On January 30, the Las Vegas Sun newspaper reported that the Health District was contacted by the CDC and advised that 3 guests of the Luxor hotel have been diagnosed with the virus since this past spring. In the last of the 3 confirmed cases, the guest has died as a result of the exposure to the Legionella bacteria.

The Los Angeles Times recently reported that the Southern Nevada Health District has issued a public health notice to warn the public of this hazardous condition.

Just 6 months ago, the Las Vegas Review Journal reported that water testing performed by local officials confirmed the presence of the type of bacteria that causes Legionnaires' disease was present at the resort. The testing was performed after 6 former hotel guests had been diagnosed with this sometimes deadly disease. Subsequently, the Aria issued a public statement to notify guests of the possible exposure.

Of note, these 2 properties are only about 1 mile apart on the Las Vegas Strip.

Manifestation of the bacteria's symptoms typically occur within 2-14 days of the the exposure period. According to the Southern Nevada Health District, symptoms include: high fever, chills, cough, and fatigue or weakness and/or pneumonia. The Health District recommends that any former guests experiencing such symptoms should see your doctor and inform him or her that you may have been exposed to Legionella.